After watching the excellent CATFISH (2010) this week, I have provided 5 mockumentaries of note for discussion:
FAUX VERITE – My favourite mockumentaries:
1) THIS IS SPINAL TAP (1984) The inspiration for so many that have followed. How black can it be? None more black.
2) MAN BITES DOG (1992) A film crew follow a serial killer around town and question the ethics of their actions.
3) EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP (2010) Like CATFISH this is a story of 21st century confusion about identity and aspiration. Banksy is pulling our leg.
4) SWEET AND LOWDOWN (1999) Woody Allen’s convincing bio-pic of Emmett Ray a fictional musician. UNCUT magazine predicted that a DVD copy could fetch thirty quid on ebay. I got a fiver.
FAUX PAS – the worst mockumentary of all time must be …
5) CONFETTI (2006) Robert Webb naked … come on … brit shit.
Honourable mention for THE OFFICE (2001) on the box as it was such a game-changer. Dishonourable mention for COME FLY WITH ME (2010) with its prosthetic racism about an airport, it manages to be a throw back to the last decade and the seventies at the same time.