1) Bruce Springsteen in HIGH FIDELITY (2000). The boss strums his way through some homely advice to the tortured sole of John Cusak, who is a personal friend of the New Jersey rock star. Although there are no references to such a reverie in the book, it is in tune with some of Horby’s passions, as he selected the epic THUNDER ROAD as one of his 31 SONGS (2003) where he lists ‘ a soundtrack’ for his life.
2) Elvis in TRUE ROMANCE (1993). Years before his regular ‘Ask Elvis’ slot on The Big Show (love the show Steve), Elvis made a fleeting appearance in Tony Scott’s adaptation of Tarrantino’s screenplay. Val Klimmer, who played the role, has gone on to replicate Elvis’s Las Vagas look.
3) Mickey Goldmill in ROCKY (1976) “You’re gonna eat lightnin and you’re gonna crap thunder,” I’m not sure what it means, but it beats ‘wax on and wax off’.
4) Dicky Fox in JERRY MAGUIRE (1996) Hey, he doesn’t have all the answers, but he loves his wife and he loves his life.
NOT A PATCH ON ADAMS
5) Obi Wan ‘Ben’ Kinobi in STAR WARS (1977 onwards) He may have done a good job at helping Luke hit a hole no bigger than a wamp rat, but he was covering up an earlier cock up.